- Commitment to Privacy: Gippsland Business Awards (“GBA”) is committed to protecting your privacy when collecting and handling your personal information. GBA is committed to complying with the National Privacy Principles (“NPP”) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Act”). GBA only collects personal information that is necessary for it to undertake the awards process or, communicate or involve you in promotional activities. Personal information held by GBA may include your name, current and previous address, telephone/mobile phone numbers, email address.
- Interpretation: Words and expressions in bold type in this policy have the same meaning as in the Act.
- Collecting Personal Information: GBA only collects personal information, if it is required by law or it is necessary to undertake the awards process. In this regard, GBA may be required to collect your personal information if you want to participate in the awards process.
- Reason For Collecting Your Personal Information: GBA must have access to personal information in order to properly conduct the awards process and related activities. If you choose not to provide your personal information, GBA may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service that GBA would like to provide.
- How GBA Collects Personal Information: GBA will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. If it is reasonable and practicable to do so, NRG will collect personal information directly from you.
- Use and Disclosure of Personal Information: GBA only uses or discloses personal information it collects about you for the primary purpose for which it collects that information unless you have consented to the use or disclosure for a secondary purpose; or the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose (or if the information is sensitive information, directly related to the primary purpose) and you would reasonably expect GBA to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose; or the information is not sensitive information and it is impracticable for GBA to seek your consent before GBA uses it for the purpose of direct marketing; or the use or disclosure is required by or under law; or GBA has a reason to suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being, or may be engaged in, and uses or discloses the personal information as a necessary part of its investigations of the matter or in reporting its concerns to relevant persons or authorities; or GBA reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety or a serious threat to public health or public safety. In this regard, GBA may disclose your personal information to its insurers and people who enquire of GBA as to your whereabouts.
- Sensitive Information: GBA may collect sensitive information if the collection is: required by law; or necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of another person, where the person to whom the information concerns is physically or legally incapable of giving consent to the collection or physically cannot communicate consent to the collection; or the collection is necessary for the commencement, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
- Anonymity: Wherever it is lawful and practicable to do so, GBA will provide you with the option of not identifying yourself when transacting with it. For example, you may respond to certain opinion surveys or direct marketing activities without identifying yourself. However, if you wish to participate in the awards process GBA may need to collect certain personal information about you including your name, address and contact details.
- Quality and Security of your Personal Information: GBA will take all reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You may contact GBA at any time during business hours to correct or up date the personal information GBA holds about you. Your personal information is protected by a range of security measures including computer network security systems, restricted access and building security systems, firewalls, expert computer monitoring, and PIN numbers and passwords for checking identity before disclosing information. GBA takes reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify any personal information it no longer requires. For example, for paper-based records, GBA shreds, pulps or disintegrates personal information it holds. For electronic records, GBA overwrites records before they are deleted or deletes back-up files.
- Access and Correction of your Personal Information: If you wish to access your personal information held by GBA, send a written request by post to GPO Box 9024,Traralgon, 3844. Please include your full name and address as they appear in our records, your daytime telephone number, your e-mail address if applicable and a brief reason why you require access to your personal information, so that GBA can identify you and protect your personal information from misuse and unauthorised access. GBA may require you to agree to pay our reasonable access charges prior to providing you access. If you wish to update your personal information, send the updates you desire info@GBA.org.au. Make sure you include sufficient information so that GBA can identify you.
The Secretary / Public Officer
Gippsland Business Awards Inc
PO Box 9024, Traralgon VIC 3844
Phone: 0428 746 207
Fax: (03) 5174 6760
If you are unsatisfied with the way GBA has handled your complaint, you may lodge a complaint in writing to: The Federal Privacy Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, SYDNEY NSW 1042 or contact The Federal Privacy Commissioner: by telephone on 1300 363 992 or TTY on 1800 620 241; or in person at Level 8, Piccadilly Tower, 133 Castlereagh Street, SYDNEY; or by facsimile transmission on (02) 9284-9666 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.